New Report on Incinerator to IssuePosted March 22nd, 2012
At the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) today, it was confirmed that the Director General of the Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government will provide a full report from the Local Government Audit Service on the Poolbeg Incinerator in respect of the cost exposure for the State, for referral to the Office of the Comptroller and Auditor General an examination by the PAC.
A copy of the transcript of last week’s PAC proceedings has been issued to the Department detailing the relevant questions that were asked but not answered. A note will also be provided outlining the estimated cost of the Poolbeg Incinerator when the Department first made funding available. The Chairman has also asked that the Department investigate any other matters that it may have questions about.
Questions that will be answered concerns the following:
• A further breakdown of figures provided by Councillor Paddy McCartan (for example the €25.7 million spent on client representative services and €3.3 million spent on “other consultancies”)
• The land valuation for the various CPOs, how these were determined and in what year valuations were made
• Preparation of the Hennessey Report and its terms
• Whether or not waste collected in the four Dublin regions will equate to 600,000 tonnes a year
• The McKecknie judgement and the reasons for and costs of the appeal, and implications for the project
• Trends in waste and the potential liability of the put or pay clause
• Value for money given the many additional costs and the fact that the incinerator is not yet built
• Value for money audits conducted to date
• Changes to the contract since 2005
• The Department’s role on the Steering Committee
• The Indaver proposal and why it is not being considered
• When a decision will be available regarding the two State Aid complaints made to the European Commission
It was an interesting discussion and is worth a read for those who are interested in this project. To read the full transcript please click here and search for Murphy.
Join the team
If you'd like to be added to the mailing list, send me an email at email@example.com.