Seanad – Statements on HousingPosted April 25th, 2018
Today I updated the Seanad about the work that is ongoing in relation to housing. You can read my speech below.
I’d like to thank the House for this important opportunity to update you on housing and related matters to-day.
- TOP line figures – going the right direction
- – Planning permissions for 20,776 homes granted to end December 2017, up 27% year on year.
- – Commencement notices for over 18,500 new homes were submitted; an annual increase of 41%, in the year to end February 2018,
- – BER figures show that 2,367 housing units were built during the first three months of the year, an increase of 45% on the same time last year. This does not include self-builds.
- – ESB connections to the total just under 20,000, an annual increase of more than 30% in the year to end February 2018. Since early 2014, this has increased by 128%.
- – Registrations have increased to 9,521 Units which is 46% up on 12 months to February 2017.
The growing numbers in employment in the construction industry is further evidence of increased confidence and buoyancy in the housing sector. Employment levels of skilled tradesmen in the construction sector was estimated at 83K in Q1 2017. This is up 14% on the same period in 2016.
To continue reading, go here.
To watch a video of my statement, go here.