Metro UpdatePosted October 26th, 2018
My office met with the National Transport Authority this week to clarify the status of the project. What we were told is:
– The next phase – the publishing of an updated ‘preferred route’ and a further round of public consultation – will most likely happen in January.
– It is expected that there will be changes made to the original plan – these changes include the Ranelagh / Rathmines area. Solutions are being considered at the moment but currently nothing has been finalised for the preferred route.
– The level of feedback to respond to and the necessary design work required for assessing changes are the reasons given for the delay.
– The project is expected to proceed as follows: another round of public consultation occurs when the updated plan is published; final revisions are made to the scheme; a business case is prepared for Government approval; an Environmental Impact Assessment Report is prepared (this includes how communities will be affected), and finally, if those stages are passed; an application is made to An Bord Pleanála.
As soon as I have any more information I will let you know.
31 August 2018
I was in touch with the NTA (National Transport Authority) today to get the latest information on the Metro proposal.
The original plan was for the updated ‘preferred route’ to be announced in August. Due to the level of submissions received and issues that have had to be considered, it is approximated that another 4 to 6 weeks will be required to go through those issues and consider alternatives. Once this work is done, it will likely take another month before the information will be collated in a publishable format.
It is expected that the next stage of the process – the ‘preferred route’ being published and the second round of public consultation – will take place some time in November 2018.
I will be meeting with the NTA at the end of September to get an update.
I will share more information as it becomes available.
6 July 2018
I know that there has been a lot of concern surrounding the MetroLink proposal that was recently announced – I share these concerns and agree that we must find an alternative solution. I believe that Dublin needs a Metro, and we need extra capacity on the Green Line, but both of these objectives can be achieved without dividing the neighbourhood, which is my chief concern.
I have raised the matter with both the Minister for Finance and the Taoiseach. I have also met with consultants in the area of transport planning. Last week I met with the National Transport Authority (NTA) and Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII) to discuss the project.
I can confirm that the NTA and TII are looking seriously at alternative options that will not see the community segregated at either the Beechwood or Cowper LUAS stops – that is, new proposals that will see both cars and people being able to continue to cross the line at Beechwood and people to be able to continue to cross the line at Cowper without any major disruption to current movement patterns.
I requested that the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Transport meet with representatives of the community to hear about concerns with the current proposal, before an updated ‘preferred route’ is produced. The Committee have agreed to this request. I will also be meeting with residents’ groups next week to discuss the situation further.
See details about timelines & process here.
17 May 2018
We have had a lot of representations about this and people are very concerned about the potential changes, as am I. My team met with Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII) and have been in regular contact with them regarding these concerns.
I do not think that the proposal for south of Charlemont St. is viable; I believe that it would have a disproportionately negative impact on the community, particularly for the large and demographically diverse population in the Ranelagh area, notwithstanding the significant numbers that travel through the area.
An alternative solution needs to be found and I have expressed this view to TII. I believe that given the obvious problems with the proposed closure of access from Beechwood Road to Dunville Avenue, a different proposal will have to be fully examined and put forward.
If you would like to have a look at my formal submission, go here.